ITMB Publishing, Ltd. …
ITMB, our source for maps, is one of the largest and most successful map publishing houses in the world, with more than 425 maps in print of countries and cities around the world, another 15 under development, and an average of one new map being published each week. This is a production rate unmatched by any other publishing house in the world.
GIS technology has revolutionized map production during the past seven years, necessitating the replacement of earlier artwork on a steady basis, but the work of the cartographer remains as vital as ever. If GPS mapping is ever to get out of the stick-figure simplistic style we see today in in-car navigation, computer-trained cartographers have a lifetime of work ahead.
ITMB has 56 titles on Latin America, more than any other publisher. For ten years, the firm’s fundamental goal has been to map South America. All of ITMB’s maps use the latest GIS technology to make them even more accurate and informative.
Washington State based Rainforest Publications main mission is first to Inform and educate the world, with the hope that by the use of these award winning guides, they will give users a much better appreciation of nature’s beauty and create stewards dedicated to reversing a declining environment.
Secondly, Rainforest believes strongly in their responsibility to design and create the highest quality product possible to impress upon the user of that belief. To do that, a huge effort in research & development of all their Field Guides & Charts ensure that they surpass environmental friendly goals while maintaining their high-quality standards and integrity. All art is hand produced by local artists – then reproduced using high level photography.
To this end, they have done the following:
1.) recycle all office paper products; 2.) use only remanufactured print cartridges; 3.) use of local businesses to reduce transportation costs; 4.) print on Endeavour paper which features a high recycled content.
Their selection of Capitol City Press, (in Washington State), was because of their strategic efforts in using the latest technology developments in conservation of raw materials, production, and end product (in many cases up to 40%). Minimum waste, massive recycling of paper and bindings, the use of vegetable based inks and their proprietary canister ink system, distinguished them as a top leader in environmentally friendly printing.
Rainforest Publications also believes in philanthropy (with donations for each guide sold) to environmental and educational organizations:
• Children’s Rainforest…for the purchase and protection of forest habitat
• Monteverde Conservation League
• Curu Wildlife Refuge…radio collars for the spider monkey program
• Caribbean Conservation Co-operation…satellite devices for tracking turtles
• CATIE…educational brochure for local farmers on the importance of protecting the snakes that co-habitate their farms
• Guanacaste Conservation Area (GCA)…school workshops for the Guanacaste Outdoor Education Program
• Costa Rica National Museum…educational materials for children’s programs of low-income families
• Children’s Program in Paquera, Costa Rica… sponsor educational activities for troubled kids
• Arbofilia…sponsor the study and protection of trees.
• Tambor Bay School… (produced Custom Wildlife Guide for Tambor Bay). This guide was sponsored by Tambor Tropical Resort and the benefits from the sale of the guide go to the Tambor Bay School.